Professor J. Philippe Rushton died of Addison’s disease on October 2, 2012. Social Psychology Network is maintaining this profile for visitors who wish to learn more about Professor Rushton's work.
Please see below for more information:
- Dr. Philippe Rushton (Western University, Department of Psychology)
- Philippe Rushton, Professor Who Pushed Limits with Race Studies, Dead at 68 (The Globe and Mail)
- Leading Race "Scientist" Dies in Canada (Salon)
- J. Philippe Rushton, Author of Controversial Essay on Race and Brain Size, Dies at 68 (The Star)
- Obituary, John Philippe Rushton, 1943–2012 (Intelligence)
I was born in Bournemouth, England, in 1943. My father was a building contractor; my mother was French and gave me my middle name. We emigrated to South Africa and later to Canada, so I went to school in several places. I returned to England and earned a B.Sc. in psychology from Birkbeck College at the University of London in 1970 and in 1973. I then received my Ph.D. from the London School of Economics for work on altruism in children.
After that, I moved to the University of Oxford for a one-year postdoctoral fellowship to continue my research on personality development in children. Subsequently, I returned to Canada, where I taught at York University from 1974-1976 and the University of Toronto until 1977. I then moved to the University of Western Ontario, where I was made a full professor in 1985. I received a D.Sc. from the University of London in 1992.
- Culture and Ethnicity
- Evolution and Genetics
- Personality, Individual Differences
- Research Methods, Assessment
Note from the Network: The holder of this profile has certified having all necessary rights, licenses, and authorization to post the files listed below. Visitors are welcome to copy or use any files for noncommercial or journalistic purposes provided they credit the profile holder and cite this page as the source.
- Rushton, J. P. (2000). Race, evolution and behavior: A life history perspective. Ostara Publications.
- Erdle, S., Irwing, P., Rushton, J. P., & Park, J. (2010). The general factor of personality and its relation to self-esteem in 628,640 Internet respondents. Personality and Individual Differences, 48, 343-346.
- Rushton, J. P. (2009). Inclusive fitness in human relationships. Biological Journal of the Linnean Society, 96, 8-12.
- Rushton, J. P. (1985). Differential K theory: The sociobiology of individual and group differences. Personality and Individual Differences, 6(4), 441-452.
- Rushton, J. P., & Ankney, C. D. (2009). Whole brain size and general mental ability: A review. International Journal of Neuroscience, 119, 691-731.
- Rushton, J. P., Bons, T. A., Ando, J., Hur, Y-M., Irwing, P., Vernon, P. A., Petrides, K. V. & Barbaranelli, C. (2009). A general factor of personality from multitrait-multimethod data and cross-national twins. Twin Research and Human Genetics, 12, 356-365.
- Rushton, J. P., Bons, T. A., & Hur, Y-M. (2008). The genetics and evolution of the General Factor of Personality. Journal of Research in Personality, 42, 1173-1185.
- Rushton, J. P., Bons, T. A., Vernon, P. A., & Cvorovic, J. (2007). Genetic and environmental contributions to population group differences on the Raven's Progressive Matrices estimated from twins reared together and apart. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London. Series B. Biological Sciences, 274, 1774-1777.
- Rushton, J. P., Brainerd, C. J., & Pressley, M. (1983). Behavioral development and construct validity: The principle of aggregation. Psychological Bulletin, 94(1), 18-38.
- Rushton, J. P., Chrisjohn, R. D., & Fekken, G. C. (1981). The altruistic personality and the self-report altruism scale.
- Rushton, J. P., Cvorovic, J., & Bons, T. A. (2007). General mental ability in South Asians: Data from three Roma (Gypsy) Communities in Serbia. Intelligence, 35, 1-12.
- Rushton, J. P., Fulker, D. W., Neale, M. C., Nias, D. K. B., & Eysenck, H. J. (1986). Altruism and aggression: The heritability of individual differences. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 50(6), 1192-1198.
- Rushton, J. P., & Irwing, P. (2009). A General Factor of Personality (GFP) from the Multidimensional Personality Questionnaire. Personality and Individual Differences, 47, 571-576.
- Rushton, J. P., & Irwing, P. (2009). A general factor of personality in 16 sets of the Big Five, the Guilford-Zimmerman Temperament Survey, the California Psychological Inventory, and the Temperament and Character Inventory. Personality and Individual Differences, 47, 558-564.
- Rushton, J. P., & Irwing, P. (2009). A general factor of personality in the Comrey Personality Scales, the Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory-2, and the Multicultural Personality Questionnaire. Personality and Individual Differences, 46, 437-442.
- Rushton, J. P., & Irwing, P. (2008). A General Factor of Personality (GFP) from two meta-analyses of the Big Five: Digman (1997) and Mount, Barrick, Scullen, and Rounds (2005). Personality and Individual Differences, 45, 679-683.
- Rushton, J. P., & Jensen, A. R. (2010). Race and IQ: A theory-based review of the research in Richard Nisbett’s Intelligence and How to Get It. The Open Psychology Journal, 3, 9-35.
- Rushton, J. P., & Jensen, A. R. (2008). James Watson’s most inconvenient truth: Race realism and the moralistic fallacy. Medical Hypotheses, 71, 629-640.
- Rushton, J. P., & Jensen, A. R. (2006). The totality of available evidence shows the race IQ gap still remains. Psychological Science, 17, 921-922.
- Rushton, J. P., & Jensen, A. R. (2005). Thirty years of research on race differences in cognitive ability. Psychology, Public Policy, and Law, 11(2), 235-294.